From Slab Schoolroom to City Icons – Developments on the St Luke’s Site in Central Toowoomba
May 4, 2023, 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
"From slab schoolroom to city icons” - shares stories of the developments in the heart of Toowoomba, from the building of the first school in 1857, also used for services on Sundays, to the present day. The first section of the impressive bluestone church was opened in 1897. A magnificent pipe organ was installed in 1907.
The small school was replaced by the innovatively designed “School and Parish Hall” in 1911, first used as the Glennie Preparatory School. The church was extended, also to include the Warriors’ Chapel, by 1959. The church, hall and organ are listed by the National Trust and throughout contributed to the cultural and choral life of the community as the city developed, the latest grand occasion being the memorial service for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II last year.
The Warriors’ Chapel and memorial stained glass windows are linked to the history of the city and its leaders, including Federal Member of Parliament Sir Ernest Littleton Groom, whose father, William Henry Groom, was Mayor of Toowoomba and representative for Darling Downs in the first Federal Parliament.
Enjoy a variety of activities on the St Luke’s church site, described as “the oasis in the city”, on 4 May 2023.
• At 9.00 am join the Toowoomba Sight Seeing Tour visitors and guides around the Heritage listed church with its history, magnificent stained glass windows and hear a demonstration of the National Trust listed 1907 Norman and Beard pipe organ. Also inspect the Heritage listed hall.
• At 10.15 am an opportunity to participate in the Holy Communion service.
• At midday a free lunchtime concert.
• Explore the beautiful grounds and labyrinth.
• Guides will be on site to welcome you. During the day they can describe significant features and relate developments from the establishment of the slab schoolroom in 1857 to present times.
Refreshments available at nearby cafés and restaurants.
Please refer to our two photos:
• The older one is of the slab schoolroom, taken in 1857.
• The newer one is of the church and hall, along with our beautiful palm and cedar trees.
Plan Your Visit
St Luke’s site – corner of Herries and Ruthven Streets, Toowoomba , 152 Herries Street, Toowoomba , QLD , 4350
9:00 AM - 2:00 PM