St Luke’s Hall 110th Anniversary Celebrations
May 15, 2021, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Situated on the St Luke’s Church site on the corner of Herries and Ruthven Streets, “St Luke’s School and Parish Hall”, designed by Toowoomba architect Mr Harry Marks, was dedicated on 15 May 1911. It superseded the first school in Toowoomba, also used for church on Sundays, opened in 1857 on this site.
The Hall has been in continuous use to the present day, serving as a school, centre for community and church events, concerts, dances and private functions.
The National Trust and Heritage listed Hall incorporates many innovations including triangular ventilators and a roof ridge capped with Byzantine-like ventilation cupolas. The main body of the building is constructed using an unusual technique of applying cement over wire-mesh on a timber frame.
To ensure its future contribution to the life of the city, restoration work has continued since 2010, the latest being the replacement of the extensive timber floor. Progress to date will be celebrated with an afternoon tea and entertainment from 2.00 to 4.00pm; dress - period costume or semi formal.
Street parking available.
Please pre-register via email or phone.
Phone: 07 4639 1910
Plan Your Visit
152 Herries St, Toowoomba City QLD 4350
2pm to 4pm